Wednesday 7 April 2010

Jug of the Month - April

I collect jugs, and try to keep my collecting to jugs only. I have been known to take a wrong turn and buy a side plate or a bowl instead, but mainly I manage to keep to a jug.

I’ve decided to start a new special blog feature called Jug of the Month. (In my head that has a theme tune…something a bit Emmerdale Farm ish.)

Toyed with the idea of Jug of the Week, as I’ve got enough jugs to sustain this for nearly a year, but I worried that would be inadvertently encouraging myself and giving myself the authority to buy many many jugs. What if I ran out of jugs? What would happen to my Jug of the Week feature? Better buy some more jugs. That sort of thing. Jug habit justified by blogging habit.

Jug of the Fortnight just doesn’t have a ring to it…so Jug of the Month it is.

So here is my first Jug of the Month…


A big beautiful blue Portmeirion Totem jug, an Easter £5 bargainous gift from the Giant Flea Market at Shepton Mallet on Easter Sunday. Went with my neighbour P.

Texted J at work to brighten her working day with news of my new jug, and she happened to be on a break reading Homes and Antiques magazine, and there was my jug...


I'm just so in tune with the market. Just can't help it. Nothing to do with it being the 50th anniversary of Portmeirion this year. They've relaunched some of the original designs that 'revolutionised the casual dining market in the 1960s and 1970s.'
 



 



If we'd owned any Portmeirion when I was a child it would have had to have been this colour, as I was raised in a world of brown and orange.